Destiny Has No Secrets

Guile
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Re: Destiny Has No Secrets

Postby Guile » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:31 pm

The castle of Kosaten Shiro is clearly in a state of military readiness.

Every where there are samurai moving in many directions, archers bearing the Daidoji mon preparing for battle and countless ashigaru moving in formation.

Ryouichi and Naoko are not lead to the castle but instead to a command tent deep within the encampment.

They are ushered in quickly.

Sitting before them on makeshift stools peering over a table festooned with maps are two men. with a third leaning against a nearby pole

One is clearly Doji Hoturi, his sublime good looks and charismatic presence only enhanced by the regal armour he wears.

The second is his brother, Doji Kuwannan. His rugged build and muscular form are both at odds with the classic Doji style and yet so much a part of it as to make it so effortlessly natural.

Both are eating from a plain wooden bowl full of rice with a small amount of fish and ginger.

Hoturi, his brow creased with annoyance, or is it frustration, glares up at the two of them.

"You have till I have finished my lunch to make this worthy of my time, magistrate. And you can skip the pleasantries, I am on a battlefield and have no time for them."
The samurai’s only measure of worth is his honour.

Pironious
goblin
goblin

Postby Pironious » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:17 pm

"Very well, I shall not mince words. Your father is alive, and is now recovering from his wounds at Kyuden Doji. We have not let this information become known so far." Ryouichi replied, pausing to let that sink in.
L5R - Kitsuki Ryouichi
Dantir - Stitches the tailor

Guile
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Postby Guile » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:09 pm

Two sets of eyes bore deep into Ryouichi as he utters these words.

Food stops mid way to mouths, bodies tense and an intensity like a wave about to break washes over the room in anticipation... and dread.

Nothing is said but both bowls of food are placed slowly, deliberately back upon the table.

Pironious
goblin
goblin

Postby Pironious » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:08 am

After a moment's pause Ryouichi continues, "I'm sure there are many questions, I will answer as best I am able, for there is much even I am still piecing together."
L5R - Kitsuki Ryouichi

Guile
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Postby Guile » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:03 am

Kuwannan's silence quickly turns to fury, rounding on Ryouichi, he grabs the front of his kimono, Yelling

"How dare you! Mocking us like this! I should kill you where you stand! Give me one reason not to do so! Spreading such lies!"

Pironious
goblin
goblin

Postby Pironious » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:35 am

"I speak no such lies," Ryouichi replied calmly but firmly. "He was captured in the attack assumed to claim his life, denied the right of an honourable death and has spent the time since then being tortured by traitors to the Empire until his recent rescue, in expedition led by your magistrate Doji Tenkawa which I was honoured to be invited on."

"It is the truth and I would sooner be struck down than deny it."
L5R - Kitsuki Ryouichi

Guile
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Postby Guile » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:05 am

"Enough brother" said Hoturi, his voice ringing out, cutting the tension like a knife, "Let him go."

Kuwannan dropped the shirt of the magistrate, spinning to face his brother.

"How can you say this? Our father is dead! It couldn't possibly be true!"

Hoturi said nothing.

Instead he rose, walking to the back of the tent and removing an ornately sayaed katana from a weapon stand (Lore (Crane Clan): 4) at the back of the tent.

Kuwannan looking puzzled, "What are you..." his words cut off as Hoturi drew the sword from the saya.

Silence hung in the air.

Kuwannan's eyes widen in both shock and realisation.

"You... You knew?"

Hoturi's eyes rose to meet his brothers.

"No. I didn't. I... I thought that our ancestors had abandoned me. That he... he was ashamed of me, that he wanted you to lead us. I.. I couldn't face that shame."

Kuwannan move gently forward, his hand closing on his brother's holding the sword and slowly pushed it back into it's sheath.

"I am always going to be proud of you, brother. Not always pleased, but proud to call you my champion."

A smile apeared on both their faces.

Kuwannan turned beginning to gather his things.

"Magistrate forgive my outburst, you have done a great deed this day, and you can tell the rest as we..."

"We are not leaving."

Kuwanna, shock covering his face, "But our Father...?"

"... Can wait. He has been gone for a while and is recovering for the moment." replied Hoturi calmly, "How would he feel if we left a battlefield to the Lion in order to go and see a crippled old man? What would he do if he were in our position?"

Lowering his things back to the ground, he nodded at his brother.

"You are right of course" Kuwannan beamed, sitting back down at the table and picking up his rice bowl.

Hoturi likewise sat down but before resuming eating asks his guests to sit and explain in detail what has happened.

Pironious
goblin
goblin

Postby Pironious » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:42 am

((Sage 5. But I assume it's their fancy family sword of being their family and ruling and stuff))

Ryouichi gives a nod. "I will start from the beginning, as best I am able. As mentioned, he was captured rather than killed and has been hidden away from the Empire since then. The group responsible for this are traitors to the Empire of the worst kind, for they reject the very celestial order itself. From the battles fought against them in recovering your father, they seem not to be tainted by shadow, nor members of this "faceless" threat the empire faces, for they exhibited no powers or abilities associated with either group. By all appearance, they are but men. Men who have turned their backs on the heavens themselves, rejecting the rightful place of an individual in the celestial order and actively working to topple it. It is no doubt towards this end that they submitted Satsume-sama to terrible tortures, for what better weapon to wield against the Emperor than his closest friend. Needless to say, such efforts on a man of his upstanding calibre proved futile."

He gave a pause as he prepared himself, the next part was somewhat akin to walking a tightrope.

"Perhaps the most distressing and dangerous part of these individuals is that they operate amoungst us. The base we liberated Satsume-sama from was found within Crane lands and those within fought with katana, although most lacked the skill and training of a true samurai. This is no mere peasant rebellion, for it takes more intelligence and understanding than peasants are capable of to hatch plots such as theirs. I do not know how far they spread, nor how powerful they have become, but for them to capture Satsume-sama and spend so long hiding him away speaks of a quiet confidence in their capabilities and leadership. Who knows what other events they may have manipulated as of late? It may even be possible that they are responsible for this current war, for my own investigations have led me to believe the investigation into the missing Emerald Magistrate, Kitsuki Jusai, was manipulated in order to provoke the Crab into going to war with the Crane, although again I lack the proof to determine this."

"Either way, the Empire as a whole has three distinct enemies seeking its destruction at present; the faceless, this cabal of traitors, and our ancient and ever present foe, the Shadowlands. It is my hope that with the return of Doji Satume-sama, the Emperor will at last be compelled to act and reunite the Empire so these foes can be dealt with."
L5R - Kitsuki Ryouichi

Guile
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Postby Guile » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:15 am

The two brothers, both listening intently, nod their heads, urging him to continue.

Pironious
goblin
goblin

Postby Pironious » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:14 am

After a moment's pause, Ryouichi gives a slight frown. "At this stage I don't have much more to add. I have been trying to uncover details about conspirators since the preliminary investigation into the death of Kitsuki Jusai, where I questioned the evidence and testimony pointing to the involvement of the Asahina. But whether this was simply a ploy by the Yasuki to justify an attack on the Crane now that the Scorpion lay defeated for their own clans gain, or part of some larger plot to destabilise the Empire I cannot say. It has been all but impossible to pursue leads in their lands since the fighting turned northwards for obvious reasons, moreso when my clan joined the fray to strike against the Lion."

"Have you been informed the latest details known about the faceless enemies?"
L5R - Kitsuki Ryouichi

Guile
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Postby Guile » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:18 am

"To be honest I care little for childrens tales." Kuwannan snorted, "We have enough problems dealing with the enemy we can."

Hoturi nodded, "Not that it isn't important but we have more pressing concerns. What we want to know is how you found him, How was he discovered, Why did Dorai - a man whom I've trusted to lead a family of mine - decieve me? Are the rest of the Asahina involved? These are more pressing concerns."

Pironious
goblin
goblin

Postby Pironious » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:16 pm

"That is fair," Ryouichi replied in response to Kuwannan. "But these faceless creatures can possess otherwise honourable and righteous Samurai after being alone with them for mere minutes. Simply being aware of this fact is enough, I doubt it is often either of you meet in such private settings with another due to your station, but be sure to take suitable precautions."

"The details of that I am not the most well versed in, as I was not present to hear the final words of Asahina Dorai myself. Tenkawa-san should be able to provide more information about what Dorai-sama knew. As for the rest of the family, I do not believe so. A pair of Asahina samurai accompanied us on the rescue mission, and they did not seem any more aware of what had occurred than any others."
L5R - Kitsuki Ryouichi

Guile
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Postby Guile » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:55 am

'I assume that Tenkawa watches over my Father? Why else would he not present himself to me."

After a moment he continues

'Who else knows of my father's return?"

Pironious
goblin
goblin

Postby Pironious » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:18 am

"Tenkawa-san separated from the rest of the group shortly after we left the traitor base, as he had some other business to take care of. He assured us he would meet us at Kyuden Doji. At the time of our departure from there to here he had not yet arrived, but we did not delay to await him. I have no doubt that by now he has taken up vigil over the care of Satsume-sama, who rests at his house within Kyuden Doji"

"Outside of him, only the small group of Crane and Dragon samurai who liberated him. His identity was kept hidden during our journey back. At the time of my departure, no one had expressed any intent to depart, and all are sworn to secrecy on this matter."
L5R - Kitsuki Ryouichi

Guile
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Postby Guile » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:00 am

The Crane Champion and his brother finish eating their food.

Hoturi is the first to speak.

"I... apologise for my harshness, Ryouichi-san. It is hard in these perilous times to trust another samurai. Too often we find ourselves at the merciless whims of courtiers and their petty games to realise when we are being handed something so genuine. Truly you are to be commended as is your Daidoji companion."

"For the moment, assuming you have no other pressing concerns, travel back to Kyuden Doji and protect our father. We will be along at the beginning of Winter to take custody then. Remember to tell no one outside of those that you trust concerning this."

"Is there anything else? If not we will look forward to seeing you as the first snows fall."

Return to “In Character L5R Chat”