Entering the City of Lights

User avatar
Louise
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:29 am

Entering the City of Lights

Postby Louise » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am

"Hey... Is she touching the portal stone?"

[...]

"Take us to the City of Lights" the group shout in unison. The suspicious messenger already has several metres lead on them, and begins to disappear into the city crowds.

Jenny pursues the messenger into the crowd [Athletics 4] and...

User avatar
Vixxy
goblin
goblin
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:13 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Vixxy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:11 am

Nausea washed over Rea as the world shifted. By the Three, she hated portal stones, no matter how convenient they were. No time to indulge in self-pity however; their runaway was already disappearing into the city crowds.

If the woman escaped now, it would be near impossible to find her again. Caettan was simply too large a city, with too many people passing through every day. She dashed into the crowds, trying to follow her target [athletics 5].

The woman knew the city crowds too well however, and had vanished. [GM's call at end of event] Rea cursed quietly, and glanced about for her temporary companions. It wouldn't do to have lost them in her haste. The messenger might be gone, but there were still things to be discussed.

User avatar
Samari
goblin
goblin
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:15 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Samari » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:15 pm

The brightly dressed Toreneyan woman who had continued to follow them seemed unphased by the portal travel (Not that you could tell behind the glittering veil over her mouth.) and instead of dashing foreward she glanced around the bustling city, moving to stand by Rea. "Take heart. It is not entirely disasterous. We have her letter, and perhaps it can be traced back to its source."
Last edited by Samari on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ace
LARP Org Admin
LARP Org Admin
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Ace » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:36 pm

[GM reply]

The City of Lights bustles onward, oblivious to the woes of her newest arrivals. Here in the High King's city you can find just about anything you want - or find someone who can find what you want.

A guild mage or even two in busy times stand by the large portal stone, where a short, orderly line or travellers files to the stone. Arriving travellers are waived away from the area if they dally too long, getting in the way of other arrivals. Couriers hurry up and down the streets, carrying messages between noble houses and sometimes vanishing into the portal stone themselves. Servants and travellers do their shopping among the markets and specialist shops on the high streets. Inns, taverns and other entertainments beckon guests - some prominent on street corners, others offering quieter patronage down darker side streets. Large houses for noble members of the King's court, Ambassdors and dignataries from all the nations are in residence in the city.

Guards patrol occasionally - keeping the worst of the rabble in order, but not generally interfering in people's business. Especially now - after a new guard captain was installed some months ago, the work of the guard has been much improved.

Any everywhere, there are lights. Lanters and candles and magical coloured lights spin and dance in the breeze. Every window and doorway is lit, night and day, welcoming guests to Caeattan.

User avatar
Louise
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:29 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Louise » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:43 am

Jenny backtracks towards her travelling party.

"I know that it's kind of my job to hurt people, but corrupt business is just not okay in my books. I can travel with you if you need the muscle, but I'm equally happy to investigate this on my own. In other words, with our conflicting values and interests, I don't see us becoming friends easily."

fireward
goblin
goblin
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby fireward » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:55 am

Khajit emerged from the portal stone travel disoriented.

"Halb guide my actions... Rund help us... Dhar preserve me" he uttered, trying to catch up to the chasing party.

taking only a couple steps off the platform, and seeing that the members of his group had run off in chase, Khajit found a spot nearby and sat down, to wait. he knew that he would not be able to catch up to his friends who ran so quickly. he did not want to get lost in the city alone either. the best thing, he thought was to wait patiently for the group to return. good news or bad, they would retrace their steps when they either found the courier or lost him and could not see khajit.

and so, Khajit waited patiently.

User avatar
Samari
goblin
goblin
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:15 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Samari » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Seranis moved her attention from Rea to Jenny, and shook her head. "We could part ways, but perhaps we should allow ourselves a moment to converse, discover where we all stand, who we are, and then decide if seperation will be beneficial to us. I mean, we do not need to be friends in order to work together for a common cause." She canted her head to the side, clutching the long bladed pole arm as she leaned against it.

"Besides... I have a feeling I am not the only one who wishes to do better by the village we left."

fireward
goblin
goblin
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby fireward » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:09 pm

"Friends, khajit is no warrior. Khajit not even smart or quick. But khajit does speak to gods. Gods answer khajit often. Khajit speak to rund most often. But perhaps in this, halb who sees all can help us. Khajit think that jorgenwilder people not have enough temples to gods. Maybe that why the chief wanted villager idols to gods."

User avatar
Vixxy
goblin
goblin
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:13 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Vixxy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:28 am

Rea's expression betrayed her concern and doubt. The letter in their possession was, well, sparse on its details. Who was this SA? How many damned people could those two letters refer to? It wasn't as if there had been an insignia on the darn seal before Seranis had opened it. They didn't even know the messenger's name-! She closed her eyes briefly, drawing in a calming breath. The scents and sounds of the city were familiar, which helped to settle her mind.

She had done poorly by Salindale, and she intended to do what she could to improve the overall situation for the Randwelt villages in the Jorgenwylders' path. That Bloodheer had gotten ideas, and she was certain he wouldn't soon forget - which meant a lot of villages would be paying 'tribute' to Gan's Cabalit, if certain Randwelt nobles didn't start taking the threat seriously.

"That's certainly true," she offered in response to Seranis' words. "Folk can be at each others' throats all the time, but they'll set aside their differences for a greater foe." She tapped the letter against her palm. "This certainly falls under such a category. The Jorgenwyld won't stop at Salindale. Duke Hesse needs to be informed that this is more than just random raids. You said that they were being paid to attack the villages, Khajit?" she glanced at Khajit, then let her gaze shift to Jenny. "And I'd still like to hear more about your idea for fighting games. I'm not sure how well it would work with the current Cabalit we're dealing with, but others, in the future? Definite potential."

She managed a small smile as she looked back to Khajit. "I don't think it's a lack of temples for this group. Just greed. Their leader certainly doesn't seem to be following the code of his people."

fireward
goblin
goblin
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby fireward » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:16 am

Khajit looked at Rea. "yes Rea, chief did say he was paid to burn villages. he did also say it not his clan's way but because he paid to do, he do."

"khajit think is but simple way to find courier. just find guild and ask!" he smiled proudly at his simple answer.

User avatar
Ace
LARP Org Admin
LARP Org Admin
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Ace » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:31 am

[GM Comment: Let us know if you want to transition a scene to another location, set up private chats, etc.]

The street life bustles on in the square around the portal stone. Mages, Couriers and labourers shuffle into and out of the large portal stone. Horses and carts move slowly along the road, the space dominated by pedestrians and hand carts.

A street-hawker bearing an array of preserved meats and other foods hanging from lines on pole approaches the little group of travellers.
"A snack, while you wait, travellers? Have you come a long way? Or maybe you wait for a journey to commence? Fortify your hearts - and your stomachs - while you wait, yes? Just one aes for a taste!"

User avatar
Louise
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:29 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Louise » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:41 am

"Yes, the incentive would be that we offer them goods as prizes and for participation. That way we could take some of their attention away from raiding villages. Jorgenwyld don't trade with money because they don't have anything to sell. However, they were indeed accepting money to kill innocents and burn housing, which is above and beyond what they usually do."

User avatar
Vixxy
goblin
goblin
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:13 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Vixxy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:09 am

"I didn't catch her name, so it might be hard to approach the guild, but it's still worth a try." Rea smiled at Khajit. It was hard not to like the priest. "Perhaps there aren't many Sauger matching her description working for the Couriers' Guild." She highly doubted it, but even a slim possibility was worth pursuing. She considered the brief interruption of food, but then shook her head. She could eat later. She offered the merchant a shy smile, and shrugged. Maybe the others wanted something to eat. She just wanted to get things sorted out.

"Maybe we should move our discussions elsewhere?" she murmured in a low tone. "There's quite a bit of traffic here, and, well, crowds tend to draw those with quick fingers and a liking for coin that isn't theirs."

"Killing innocents is somewhat against their warriors' code," she mused in reply to Jenny. "I wonder if others in the Cabalit are as disturbed by this as we are? The Elder who spoke with us certainly didn't seem comfortable with the knowledge." Maybe a challenge would happen within the clan itself? Or perhaps not, if the younger Jorgenwylders were being taught such behaviour was acceptable. It was a shame she had let her sword training slip so much.

User avatar
Ace
LARP Org Admin
LARP Org Admin
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby Ace » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:11 am

The sweets seller moves away, disappointed by the lack of sales only briefly, as he finds more customers further down the street.

fireward
goblin
goblin
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Entering the City of Lights

Postby fireward » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:38 am

Khajit points at a nearby tea house.

"Perhaps we talk over some tea? Khajit hear this place sell good tea!"

"Khajit think we should take letter to devoted. Khajit think there is prayer to Halb-who-sees-all that may shed wisdom on our problem."


Return to “In Character Dantir Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest