Anyone know when I can get cheap hakama?

Shamoth
Dracolich

Anyone know when I can get cheap hakama?

Postby Shamoth » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Hey
While I have some hakama I've managed to keep them relatively pristine and avoid ironing those amazing* pleats and I'm wondering if there are some inexpensive ones I could get my hands on so I can save my current pair for "best".

Any leads?

* choice of words may have been selected to suit forum acceptable language policy
"The name is Matsu Tomokata.... Matsu Tomokata Matsu Tomokata."
---
This disclaimer has been automatically added.

Storyteller
Night Dragon

Re: Anyone know when I can get cheap hakama?

Postby Storyteller » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 am

KarateMart.com?

$37 US cheap enough? Probably have to add some postage ontop of that.

Note: That was from a google search. I have no experience with this vendor.
-----

Brad wrote:Assume Story knows nothing.

Shamoth
Dracolich

Postby Shamoth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 am

Storyteller wrote:KarateMart.com?

$37 US cheap enough? Probably have to add some postage ontop of that.

Note: That was from a google search. I have no experience with this vendor.

Hmm. Search the internets you say? I suppose I coooould.....
(With this one though "We currently only ship within the United States.")
---

Calliesky
LARP Org Mod
LARP Org Mod

Postby Calliesky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:58 pm

I have found a fairly good set of instructions for making your own, which I have used to rough up a bunch for npc gear. It does not innclude the solid back plate used in more modern forms of hakama but the upside is you can choose your own fabrics etc and they're easy to clean and repair.
Let me know if you'd like it ....

Alternatively any martial arts store can probably get you something for about the same price as any you could import but usually only in black or dark colours.

AndrewK
LARP Org
LARP Org

Postby AndrewK » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:41 am

I made the ones Lisa and I wore at the last day game - it is not particularly difficult.
"Among the many subjects which interested me, I dwelt especially upon antiquity, for our own age has always repelled me, so that, ..., I should have preferred to have been born in any other period than our own." Francesco Petrarca c. 1370

Shamoth
Dracolich

Postby Shamoth » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 am

I've since decided I'll just take the risk and wear my current pair and buy a new "good" pair if they get wrecked. In the interim though I checked with the importers Ace recommended - Ziguzagu in Prahran http://www.ziguzagu.net.

Ziguzagu wrote:Yes, we pretty much always have some Hakama in stock. Starting at $45.

We carry all sorts of men’s garments. If in Melbourne I suggest you come on in sometime, if not we can always photograph some stock for you to take a look.
---

Ace
LARP Org Admin
LARP Org Admin

Postby Ace » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 am

Yes, Ziguzagu always has good stuff. They almost always have things to suit any budget. You can pick up a bargain in their cheap bins - but the quality of a bargain can be hit and miss. Still, you can't get more genuine or unique than true second hand Japanese imports.
For bargains - I've gotten hakama and gi for $10 or $20 sometimes. But these are not always available.
On the other hand, spend $100 there and you will get one or two items of really good quality. And if you are buying a lot, they are not adverse to haggling for a deal. (At least not when I was last there.)

(You can also spend a lot more like I am tempted sometimes and get something unique. The wedding kimono they used to have is a bit out of my price range, but I once spent FAR too much on a hand-painted kimono of carp fish. This is so delicate it may never turn up at a game, but I loved it so much I bought it anyway.)

Of course, I have not been there since it moved from Richmond - anyone been more recently?

I also know I found a supplier for cheap ($35) hakama, in Australia, just before Easter this year. But I can't find the link anymore. I'll keep looking, let you know if I find it.

Return to “Out of Character L5R Chat”