Costume inspiration

Lilian C.
goblin
goblin

Costume inspiration

Postby Lilian C. » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:53 am

I just typed "L5R cosplay" into Google and...

*gasp*

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/113928/

There are some kick-ass costumes out there!

http://homeofthecraneclan.com/index.php?topic=2343.0

I love these:

Image Image
Image Image
Now known as Kitsune.

Lilian C.
goblin
goblin

Re: Costume inspiration

Postby Lilian C. » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 am

Now known as Kitsune.

Ace
LARP Org Admin
LARP Org Admin

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 pm

The card players can earn points for their Clan or faction, and/or prizes from costume competitions held at major card tournaments. Hence the amazing costumes that people have been creating (L5R specific) for 15 years.

For those of you who don't know much about L5R's more than 15 year history...

L5R started as a card game. The roleplaying game came a bit later. The card game has been internationally successful for such a long time, and generated a serious amount of passion and committment to the factions (Clans, etc.). The card game is heavy on story development - card tournaments and edition releases are accompanied by many fictions posted online and storyline events, etc. There is also a series of novel based on the Clan War era (highly recommended if you can find them!).

L5R roleplaying has also been popular internationally for more than 10 years. Games, big and small scale, have been running at conventions, etc. At one time there was a large organised game run using the RPGA international distribution, and also later without RPGA support. You will likely be able to find photos from these events (Use search terms like GenCon L5R or other large conventions, also Heroes of Rokugan).
As far as I know, Chimera Productions is the first to run a full-contact, live combat Live Action Roleplaying event, but there are many other groups that have run the tabletop and non-contact LARP (or freeform depending on your nomenclature) events.

Chimera is very grateful to Robert Hobart and other L5R LARP and RPG organisers for their insipiration for our L5R production.
(I'd love to list all the names of people who have inspired us, but I'd be fearful of forgetting anyone!)

I'll post some of my own photos from GenCon 2007 and 2010, if I can find them.

Ace
LARP Org Admin
LARP Org Admin

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Photos from Gen Con 2007
These are just a couple - there were almost 100 people there.

The individuals in white are Robert Hobart and Rebecca Hobart - the creator and organisers for the wonderful Heroes of Rokugan game.
I know this photo is not 'inspiring' re costume, but I wanted to share this for any previous HoR players out there.
(In this photo they are playing the Emperor Toturi XXII and his daughter, a Princess - both in mourning at a funeral, hence the white outfits.)

The other is an Imperial Lady, and a pair of Scorpion with (what I think was) a great mask... I like the use of makeup masks, people put great effort in to make themselves unique.

I know I have a photo of a lady in absolutely awsome Unicorn armour (tooled leather, if I remember correctly), I will try and find it...
Attachments
IMGP0014.JPG
IMGP0080.JPG
IMGP0006.JPG

Return to “Out of Character L5R Chat”