LRP Katana

Shamoth
Dracolich

LRP Katana

Postby Shamoth » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:58 am

OK, so official decisions on what are and aren't approved aside; any tips on good katana out there to buy on the web?
"The name is Matsu Tomokata.... Matsu Tomokata Matsu Tomokata."
---
This disclaimer has been automatically added.

tenabrae
goblin
goblin

Re: LRP Katana

Postby tenabrae » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:41 am

The basic calimacil katana is pretty comfortable to use with a squishy grip... the pretty ones (the musashi ones) have much firmer grips so depending on preference I have used and like both of those.
LeatherWok | Custom Leather Art | http://leatherwok.phoenixcore.com.au/

Shamoth
Dracolich

Postby Shamoth » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:05 pm

tenabrae wrote:The basic calimacil katana is pretty comfortable to use with a squishy grip... the pretty ones (the musashi ones) have much firmer grips so depending on preference I have used and like both of those.

Yeah cool. The calimacil was already on my list, but good to have it here for everyone. I know swordcraft have one so might have a go with one there.

Looks like the "musashi" is their standard one and the "martial arts katana" is the deluxe with presumably just prettier tsukamaki...?

Also!! This looks totally sweet. I'll be investing in one of these for sure http://www.calimacil.com/scabbard-katana.htmlDepending on rigidity possibly also asking them if they will not bother putting that weird hybrid tachi/cavalry mounting on it so I can chuck it in an obi... and also it's a bit weird IMO*.

* It's positioned edge up - which is conventional for a blade of that length... But it's mounted for attachment to a belt or armour (because drawing from an obi isnt practical on horseback) like the longer tachi, which is normally worn edge down.
"The name is Matsu Tomokata.... Matsu Tomokata Matsu Tomokata."
---
This disclaimer has been automatically added.

tenabrae
goblin
goblin

Postby tenabrae » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:41 am

the 'martial arts' weapon is a non-larping weapon made for martial arts training (realistic balance, size, etc)

the 'normal' katana is the ninja sword and the musashis the pretty one (i have the musashi and i've used the 'ninja sword' a fair bit as well).

their wakizashi is totally wrong length, as is their tanto... conveniently their tanto is about the proper length for a wakizashi (unfortunately it doesn't come in a musashi version so no pretty hilt).

if you're going to order a calimacil weapon do it through swordcraft as you'll then pay basically the canadian dollar cost and no shipping.

I made my own scabbard and also painted in the gaps between the moulded cord in the hilt to make it look more like shark skin (also touched up the pin which in reality would be bamboo but i did them with a corrupted gold color).

LeatherWok | Custom Leather Art | http://leatherwok.phoenixcore.com.au/

Return to “Out of Character L5R Chat”